Skip to main content

Conflicted

About two weeks ago I had a doctor's appointment, which from my experience I was expecting to be a lengthier affair. I hadn't seen him in a while and we would always have a lovely chat, yet this last time our business was rather brief and I was surprised to find myself in the middle of an anecdote of mine when there was obviously no reason for me to take up anymore of his time than necessary.
The moment became really awkward actually when I quickly wrapped up my tale only to find that his reaction was not how I thought it was going to be and after saying our goodbyes I went home feeling a certain way about myself.

It took some time of reflection to understand that I was desperate to have a conversation with someone. That I was lonely during that time and didn't really know where to go with myself, but that would only be half of the truth. It wasn't that I was lacking direction, but that I was missing motivation - that I was scared.

There are few things that I like more than to have a stimulating conversation with someone. I find there is a lot of therapeutic value in being honest and especially the exchange with creative people, infrequent as it might be, is something I always cherish incredibly. My enjoyment is in hearing other people out and trying to apply their point of view to my situations. I guess one could say that I like to be observant, but there are times when I find it hard to stop talking. When I get excited about something I am talking about... time really flies.

Recently, I have been in a conflict with myself beyond the means of the above mentioned problem. When people refer to me as smart I find it difficult not to look for a negative connotation in that because most of the time being smart is really close to being a smart-ass. From my point of view, I like to observe and deconstruct what the other person is saying, but more times than not this is understood as turning this around and putting the blame on them. What I consider to be a neutral comment, a reaction to what they have said, a simple and objective statement... to them looks like anything but that. I understand in many situations it is difficult to entirely remove emotion and a subjective point of view, but after I've admittedly "won" the argument, there remains to be an awkward silence and hurt feelings. Then, I am isolated and I think to myself: Well, techniquely I was right, but...

There are conversations I want to have, be that with other people and even sometimes with myself. Thoughts I want to explore further and roads I need to take, but over the last weeks I have been stagnant. I haven't written and rarely interacted. I have thought and contemplated. There was intention, but no action.

Comments

  1. Some people tend to see black and white, or they are not impartial; that could be why they don't understand your neutral comments. Or, they are not listening with depth to what you are saying to them.
    There is different "smarts". I'm not academic or artistic but according to those psychological tests, I'm perceptive. Some people are smart at maths but not so good with the creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to know which test it was that you are speaking of. I would like to try one out for myself! Thanks for reading and taking the time to leave a comment. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Obsession

I wake up at night. It is 2:30 AM and my mind accelerates, as does my heartbeat. There is no point in turning around for another couple of minutes anymore, I won't find any rest.  I go to the bathroom and put in my contact lense and use some eyedrops and sit down in front of my screen. The whole day has revolved around this moment, it is time for playoff basketball and my team is playing. The Toronto Raptors, the underdog from Canada.  Last year, from April through June, was a magical time because we ended up winning the NBA championship. Notice I said "we"?  For somebody living in Germany it is not exactly comfortable to stay up every other night to watch live games that take place on the other side of the globe, but that is part of the excitement. Feeling connected with the team and knowing what happened before everybody else around here does.  I have never been to Canada, nor the US for that matter. When I started playing basketball myself I was often watching highligh

Change

The one thing that has been on my mind the most over the course of the last couple of weeks was, and still is, change. The best way I can describe how it has made me feel like would be to talk about a friend of mine. It is a close friend of mine, one of my best friends in fact, (but) and he is moving away. See, my first instinct was to say "one of my best friends in fact, but he is moving away" because that's how I feel right now or rather have felt for some time now. "..., but he is moving away" implies that our relationship is going to change, which I know it will not. He is not doing something to me, I understand. "... and he is moving away" implies that our relationship is more firmly embedded in trust. That we both understand that life is like that and friends might move away at some point, but you still stay friends. You just don't see each other all the time. Actually, most of our friends have already moved a little further away from were we

Darkness or The Workshop

It is a difficult time right now, inside and outside. Many people, I have come to think, might feel about what is going on in the world right now like I feel when I step into my father's old workshop. To give some more perspective: my father was a quite gifted craftsman and carpenter. Alongside his ability to speak and translate many difficult languages, his handiness and general capability contributed to the near perfect image of a male alpha that I was presented with as a child. An imagine I have struggled to live up against from day one, as one-sided and incomplete as it might have been. For all intents and purposes, as I grew up my father was the man and he could do anything. He build our house from scratch and accumulated a great assortment of tools in the basement and constructed himself a proper workshop that he used frequently. As far as I remember, he was a real work-horse and would only stop in the evening to have dinner and a beer.  Since he died when I was still very yo